Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bringing up girls...

...that's the title of the book I'm reading. And let me tell you, this book is not for the faint of heart or anyone who doesn't want their world rocked. I knew I was in for it when I read through the first chapter.
Several years ago, Dr. James Dobson wrote a book called, " Bringing Up Boys". After several requests through mail and email over the years, Dr. Dobson knew he needed to write a book for parents of daughters. Now that I've got two little girls of my own, I was so excited to hear that the book would be released around Mother's Day of this year...however, I didn't actually buy it until just a month ago. When it arrived in my mailbox, I skimmed through the preface and before I knew it, I was 5 chapters deep!
Since my girls were in the womb, I have prayed certain things over their lives, that I have now come to realize, were not being enforced with our lifestyle. The book begins by discussing how early and seemingly innocently, we introduce "perfection" to our daughters and how without saying much, we communicate that sex appeal is everything and can get them anything they want.
When I was younger, like most girls, I had Barbie's...and lot's of them! I never realized until now, that Barbie's are a model of what is the world says is "perfect"...of what our daughters should aspire to look like...a perfect body with perfect proportions, a perfect face that is painted with perfect make-up, perfect hair, perfect clothes...even a perfect mate, the "Ken" doll! Nevermind the fact that Barbie has a grown woman's body which is quite volumtuious! Think about all that a little piece of plastic communicates to little girls! It's crazy! Then add to that, shows on TV that show women as just an object of desire...even commercials are blatant in depicting women as a piece of meat to be drooled over, instead of being honored and treasured! When you raise a little girl who only sees herself as a sex object, she will be used and often abused, and never think she deserves to be loved. It's not just "non-christians" that have these feelings...it's daughters of the King as well. We all have our moments of low self esteem and bad hair days, but subjecting ourselves and our girls to the world's standard of beauty absolutely negates what the Lord says over each one of His children, specifically, His daughters.
All that to say, my family is on the brink of an extreme lifestyle change. We've gotten rid of our cable TV, I've gone through Saeler's toys and discarded of the Barbie's as well as some of her Disney movies. And most days, we only listen to music or read books for entertainment...even though my girls provide plenty of entertainment for me. :)
You may disagree with my thoughts and ways of doing things, but you can't deny that the enemy is out "to steal, kill and destroy!" and that he will use any means to do so. So let's raise our girls with a mindset and confidence in the Lord that will counter the crazy culture we live in. I know I'll make mistakes along they way, but I believe that my prayers are powerful and effective and coupled with His grace and mercies that are new everyday, my daughters will live a blessed life in extreme purity before the Lord.

PS. I know that our sons are just as in danger as our daughters. I'm only referencing girls, because I've got two of them. :)

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Stina! You're right - it's hard to be a girl in this world sometimes, even as an adult. Always feeling like we're supposed to be something more or better than we are. I admire you for taking a proactive stance!!

    ReplyDelete