Thursday, April 22, 2010

From sippy cups to coffee cups.

Last night, at the store, I purchased my (almost) 6 month old baby girl, her first sippy cup. Two things came to my mind as I paid for it at the checkout. First: I cannot believe that ONE sippy cup is almost $4.00! Seriously! Second: This sippy cup stage will go by so quickly. This second thought was immediately followed with visions of what Axylle might look like at age 5 when sippy cups are (usually) no longer necessary. I had to use my imagination, of course, but she WILL be the most beautiful 5 year old EVER! :)
I thought about the sippy cup this morning as Saeler climbed into my bed and immediately started telling me the most elaborate story about a dog, a pig and a birdie...all with names and occupations, of course. I thought about how quickly it seemed Saeler has grown up. I remember her baby stage so clearly. I remember her falling asleep in my arms. I remember her managing to sit up all by herself for the first time. I remember her first steps. I remember when she first learned how to clap. I remember standing near the stove while holding her and telling her "hot" and hearing her repeat (much to my surprise), "hot"! Heck, I remember carrying her inside me...feeling her kick and move. Now I have to sort of grunt when I pick her up. She falls asleep all on her own. She skips and dances all over the house. She sings songs and says things that literally crack me up and amaze me! She's gotten so big, so fast. And I know that all of this will happen with Axylle too...actually, it's already started! And before I know it, both of my girls will be grown.
It kind of makes me sad. It kind of makes me want to never let them out of my sight. It kind of makes me want to squeeze them and kiss them every second of the day! They are so precious to me! And my love for them is beyond what words can even express!
I am fully aware of what a gift and also serious responsibility it is to be a parent. I know that the time that they are in my physical care will be here and gone. I'm doing my best to take both mental pictures and ones that I can hang on my wall. I'm keeping track of their milestones and fun little memories. I'm trying to savor every second...every millisecond!
I am, however, also looking forward to the day when I can sit down with my daughters over a cup of coffee and talk about the Lord, about life, about love. I can only imagine what a joy it will be to look at my grown daughters and see how the Lord will have answered the prayers that I've prayed over them. I can say that because I know that the Lord answers prayers...especially those that we pray in agreement with His word. And I have prayed very specifically over my girls since the minute I knew they were growing inside me. I know that they are destined to do great things in the kingdom of God! I know that they will be world shakers. I know that they will be strong and do exploits for their God. They will be mighty women who run after His heart!
So from sippy cups to coffee cups...I'll be the doting mother. I'll be the praying mother. I'll be the one treasuring every moment...because that's what mother's do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment